Historic Fletcher Steele Gardens
Commissioned in 1915, the gardens at Rolling Ridge were the first independent project of then, upcoming landscape architect, Fletcher Steele. Ethan Allen, owner of the 38 acre peninsula, wanted Steele to layout the whole property and build the gardens first to take advantage of the trees and views so that Allen could walk out on finished grounds the day he moved in. The lawns, house, gardens and garage were all planned “properly related to the others," with the gardens creating "outdoor rooms" which led from the house to the lake. Closest to the building and steps from the patio is a shaded lawn leading to the curved benches (Exedra) to the left and the Bowling Green to the right which leads to the Fountain. When in operation, the Fountain pool overflowed into a cascade and small pools leading to a path lined by six small fountains, bringing you to the Boathouse. Although the Boathouse (also known as Sunset Lodge and the Tea House) burned in the 1980's, guests today can enjoy the view with a picnic in the area, which is now called Lakeside Landing.
The Bowling Green