Deep Listening in the Neighborhood Spiritual Companion Training
Monday, February 7, 2022 12:00 AM to Thursday, May 25, 2023 12:00 AM
You are invited on a journey…
- Embodying deep listening in a neighborhood
- Gathering in five (5) retreats –
- three (3) in-person & two (2) online
- Learning in large groups and small clusters
- Encountering a Peer Supervision model
Through immersive engagement, you will…
- Discern a particular community context in which to companion
- Enter into multi-cultural listening
- Develop a Neighborhood of Listening map
- Learn tools of trauma-informed companioning
- Explore a nimble posture of presence
- Recognize how people and place are linked to God’s loving activity in the world
- Shift from doing spiritual companionship to being a spiritual companion
Topics along this journey…
- Becoming Present: Intro to deep listening in the neighborhood
- Borders Matter: Being at home in the neighborhood
- Spaces for Spirit: Trauma-informed companioning within the neighborhood of the world
- Discoveries at the Border: Discernment in the neighborhood
- Surprises Along the Way: Embodying new ways of companioning
- Complete your Online Application form including contact and Spiritual Autobiography information via the reg link above. Click here to view pdf copy of Application Form to see questions.
- Submit two personal recommendations via online application.
- Please submit a $100 non-refundable application fee with your application materials. This fee can be made online by submitting the application above, OR mailed to
Attn: Deep Listening in the Neighborhood
660 Great Pond Road
North Andover, MA 01845
(Please make checks payable to “Rolling Ridge”)
Applications are received until January 3, 2022 (or until cohort fills). Apply early as space is limited. Acceptance is on a rolling basis. Our director will notify you of acceptance.
- February 7-10, 2022 (at Rolling Ridge)
- May 20-23, 2022 (remote online)
- September 26-29, 2022 (at Rolling Ridge)
- February 3-6, 2023 (remote online)
- May 22-25, 2023 (at Rolling Ridge)
Course Fees & Requirements
Total Course Fee = $ 3,700
includes non-refundable application fee, course tuition and accommodations (note: any books, travel and other incidentals are not included)
Payments: : After application, half of the remaining course fee is due one month after acceptance into the course with the balance due by Retreat #1.
Limited scholarships available. Contact Jackie Trotter Dove, DLN Director, for details. United Methodist clergy are eligible for MEF grants. CEUs available.
Although there are no specific educational requirements for this training, those applying should have an active spiritual life, a deep love for all God’s people, strength in purposeful listening, embrace diversity, be in spiritual direction, and have time and resources for the five retreats. (Note: Rolling Ridge’s “Gateways to God” provides an excellent foundation for “Deep Listening in the Neighborhood.”)
For more information, contact Director Jackie Trotter Dove at firstname.lastname@example.org
About the leader(s)
Andrea Bliss-Lerman is a graduate of Shalem Institute of Spiritual Formation and has been active in facilitating and teaching in the Gateways to God Spiritual Direction Training Program at Rolling Ridge, as well as being involved in Days Apart, Drawing Nearer to God, and individual and group spiritual direction. She has served as the Minister of Spiritual Direction at Free Christian Church in Andover, Massachusetts since 1990. In addition to teaching in a variety of spiritual direction training programs and leading numerous retreats and workshops, she has also served in reaching out to inner city youth and young adults through skateboarding events, writing projects, and community development.
Connect with us
I'm Looking for a Spiritual Director