Gateways to God 2022-2024
Monday, May 9, 2022 12:00 AM
Gateways to God at Rolling Ridge offers Training in Missional Spiritual Direction.Missional Spiritual Direction training equips us to listen deeply and co-discern how God is present and incarnate. HOW God’s love shows up in the flesh – in the hands and feet of our lives – matters: within the multi-contextual and multi-cultural life of the church, neighborhood and world.
At Rolling Ridge, we define Spiritual Direction as the art and skill of spiritual companionship, paying loving attention to God’s presence and invitations within the everyday events and rhythms of our lives.
We understand missional as living and listening deep into Spirit and wide into my world.
Our focus on missional spiritual direction equips people to listen deeply for the movement of God in their context so to make a difference in the world whether one-on-one or in groups.
• Introduction to Spiritual Guidance
• Journey of the Soul and Listening as an Act of Justice
• Learning to Listen in Painful and Anxious Places
• Discernment in the Journey: Joining Contemplation and Action
• Discernment with Communities: Incarnational Soul Tending
• Missional Imagination of the Spiritual Director in Context
What to Expect:
- Taking time for personal reflection, solitude and the experience of Christian spiritual practices
- Connecting in a learning community of peers, lay and clergy
- Receiving spiritual direction for yourself throughout the entire course.
- Participating in group instruction and small group practice and reflection
- Engaging in reading and home-based experiential learning in preparation for each retreat
- Reflecting your learning through writing or other expressive means
- Receiving guidance in discerning gifts and calling toward a spiritual direction practice
- Offering supervised spiritual guidance to another during the course.
Although there are no specific educational requirements for this training, those who apply should have an active spiritual life, a deep love for all God’s people, strength in purposeful listening, embrace diversity, be in spiritual direction, and have personal time needed for the six retreats and course expectations. Note: Rolling Ridge’s “Way Of The Heart” program provides an excellent foundation for “Gateways to God.”
#1 – May 9-12, 2022
#2 – September 19-22, 2022
#3 – January 20-23, 2023
#4 – May 15-18, 2023
#5 – September 18-21, 2023
#6 - January 26-29, 2024
Applications are received until April 10, 2022 (or until class fills). Apply early as space is limited. Acceptance is on a rolling basis. You will be notified by the Gateways Director of your acceptance.
Course Fee = $4,600 includes course tuition and accommodations (note: books, travel, personal spiritual direction fees, and other incidentals are not included)
Payment Plan A (2 payments)
• $2300 one month after acceptance into the program
• $2300 by January 5, 2023
Payment Plan B (3 payments)
• $1570 one month after acceptance into the program
• $1570 by January 5, 2023
• $1570 by September 5, 2023
Due to the nature of this program, there are no refunds after the start of the course.
- Limited scholarships are available. Contact Gateways Director for details.
- CEUs available
- UMC clergy are eligible for MEF grants.
- Boston University School of Theology has a process to provide credits from this program toward Certification in Spiritual Formation in the United Methodist Church.
Once accepted into the Gateways program, please follow this link for payment.
About the leader(s)